A reputation for quality and attention to detail
Inertia Consulting provides inspection and stock asset management programmes for various clients including Highways England Areas 6, 8 and 9 – an area equivalent to around 30% of the total road and motorway network. Our services cover the two year / six year bridge inspection cycle as well as the inspection, non-destructive testing and structural monitoring of other steel and concrete structures.
With thousands of bridges and concrete structures supporting our highways infrastructure, conducting regular inspections is a vital and highly specialised task. Inertia Consulting are well-established in our field and we’re proud to have picked up multiple prestigious awards for our sensitive approach to rehabilitating historic structures.❯
Inspection and testing
Using the latest equipment and methods, our degree-qualified and Chartered Engineers can assess and accurately report on a bridge or structure’s corrosion levels, stress-related damage and general condition. Techniques include:
- Capacity assessment
- Electrochemical and half-cell potential tests
- Analysis of dust samples
- Full dimensional surveys
- X-ray and radar
Our inspections are typically carried out in line with Highways England document BD63/17 or the Bridge Condition Indicator Methods. Several of our engineers are registered with the LANTRA Bridge Inspection Competence Scheme (BICS) and we hold a range of other relevant accreditations and credentials.
We can manage all aspects of the inspection and testing process, including traffic management, obtaining the necessary licences and permits, and liaising with stakeholders. Through our stock asset management programme, we also enable our clients to effectively plan and budget for maintenance and repair schemes.
As well as carrying out our own works, we provide inspection support to third party contractors to enable safe, compliant inspections to take place. These tend to be in hard to reach places that require Inertia Consulting’s expertise and qualifications in specialist access.
Where an inspection or testing programme indicates that a bridge or other structure requires strengthening, repairs or refurbishment, our expert team can design and facilitate these works. This includes providing standalone or integrated construction supervision or temporary works services.
We also offer a complete, end to end design service for new builds, including:
- Bridges (road, cycle and foot)
- Overhead gantries
- Retaining walls and other concrete structures
- Matrix boards
- Advertising structures
- Award-winning restoration design works for the 1889 Ferry Bridge in Burton-on-Trent
- Structural monitoring and inspection programmes for Spaghetti Junction and other major road structures across the UK
- Superstructure design for cable-stayed, long-span truss and bowstring arch footbridges throughout the UK
- Designing advertising structures for JCDecaux as a new design for gateway structures near Edinburgh Airport
- Temporary works including the A465 Heads of the Valleys road scheme in South Wales and the 135 tonne lift design for the bridge across the A50 in Uttoxeter
- Design of new highway bridges for clients throughout the UK
For more in-depth project case studies, please visit the Projects section of our website.